I live in Italy, so I don’t know exactly what people from other countries think aboyut Italians, but I do know some of our stereotypes.
- Italy is always connected with pasta and pizza, so people imagine that Italians eat these foods everyday: actually they do eat pasta almost always at lunch and dinner, because it’s part of our culinary tradition, it is one of our habits, but we eat pizza not so often as we eat pasta.
- Italians are expressive: yes, they are! Most Italians, as they’re speaking, often help words not only with face expressions but also with gestures of hands, and in an evident way. But we do it unconciously, I really can’t explain why we do so… maybe it is in our DNA!
- Italians are noisy and speak very loud: well, most of them do speak loud, in fact when you are abroad you can often recognize the Italian tourist only by hearing his voice…
- Italian people often say “mamma mia!”: yes, as the ABBA teach us, this is true: in fact Italians often use this expression to express surprise or incredulity. But naturally we don’t say “mamma mia” all the time!
- Italy has a lot of famous fashion designers so Italian people are all fashionable: this isn’t completely true, of course there are people who wear clothes by big names in fashion, and even those who wear this kind of clothes from head to feet, but there are also people who don’t like these things and prefer wearing simple and cheap clothes.
- Italians don’t work hard: this isn’t true because there are a lot of workers who strive to do their best and earn their wages, but obviously, as every country, we have our loafers as well.
- Italians are not so cultured: not completely true, it depends, because in Italy there are learned people as well as ignorant people, as everywhere I suppose, even if, according to some recent surveys, the majority of Italians is quite ignorant about some subjects.
- Italians are always warm and friendly: generally they are, but it always depends on the kind of person and his character.
- Italians are narrow-minded: again, it depends, there are open-minded people as well as narrow-minded people.
- Italians are nosy: I live in a small town and in my area there are some nosy people, especially aged ones, but in Italy there are both nosy people and reserved and discreet people; we aren’t all busy bodies!